The society was originally founded in 1953 as Cannock Photographic and Cine Society by a small band of enthusiasts, which included Mr P Sheppard and Mr R Webb. This venture however was only to have a short lease of life, since after a few months the society split into two separate groups, the Cannock Chase Cine Group and the Cannock Camera Club. The Camera Club carried on until early in 1955 when due to a procession of changes in the meeting nights and venue a large majority of the membership dwindled away and the remaining members simply gave up in despair.
One of those members Mr A Paine rallied some enthusiasm amongst his workmates and friends and proceeded to form a new society. The problem at this time was finding suitable accommodation. This was solved by courtesy of the local Labour Party allowing the society to use their premises with one condition that the society included in the title of the club the words “Labour Party”. So for a time the society was known as Cannock Labour Party Photographic Society. In September 1956 accommodation was found in the community centre and after the move the words Labour Party were dropped and since then the society has been known as Cannock Photographic Society.
Early in 1958 the society were proud to welcome Mr C E Tooby ARPS and Mrs D M Tooby ARPS, which was a very welcome shot in the arm as at that time the society had only two or three experienced members. It was around this time that the society became a member of the Midland Counties Photographic Federation, with Mr C 0 Hughes and Mr A Paine being elected as the society’s delegates to the Federation. In the same year Mr Tooby became president and held office until he retired and left the district in 1967. The Societies relationship with the local Civic Authority had always been on the best of terms and its first annual exhibition held on the 20 November 1958 was opened by Mr J Holston the chairman of Cannock urban council. Towards the end of 1959 the Society together with one of the members the local council were instrumental in the formation in Cannock of the Cannock Arts Council, which at that time became a powerful influence in the cultural life of the town and deserved praise for their unstinting support. In the early 1970’s the town of Cannock became “twinned” with Datteln in Germany and one of the products of this friendship was the introduction of a trophy for members of Cannock PS to compete for annually with a picture taken within a ten-mile radius of Cannock – transparencies one year and prints the next. Herr Horst Niggemier, Burgomeister of Datteln, who sadly died in October 2000, presented the trophy to the Society on behalf of his town. The competition still continues today in the same format.
These days the Society has a membership of around ninety with a regular core of forty members attending the weekly meetings.